Frequently Asked Questions
Go to http://adeyl.com/iteach/
Step 1. Click on your course link in the front page
Step 2. Now click the “Course Outline” link on the right column of the page that opens.
Your Course Code is listed in the front page (home page). Click in that link to access course related information.
Please watch and follow the video attached.
Did not receive the confirmation email?
- Check your spam/junk folder
- Contact the email service provider and/or change to another email service provider. Northsouth.edu email seems to work good.
- Contact the faculty immediately after you have tried for two days.
- Login to the system
- You will notice at the right side of the page a new section with your username as Header. Locate the “My Account” tab from the right side of the page. Click on “my account”.
- After clicking on my account new window will appear. Click on “edit”.
- In the e-mail address box enter your new e-mail address. In the password and confirm password box enter the same new password.
- Finally click on the “Save” button and you will be done.
- Check and make sure your steps were successfully performed. Otherwise the system will return an error and you will have to fix them and re-submit.
- Then your e-mail address and password have been changed successfully.
On the login page there is a tab called ‘Request a new password’. You must enter your user name or your email address, and the system will send you a new password by email. If you enter your user name, it will send your password to the email address that the system has on file for you.
Your username is your NSU ID (including any leading zero if applicable)
You will find the IOA links in the assignment page. You need to be logged in to see the link.
You can review your IOA grades when there will be no IOA on progress. In case you cannot review your IOA grades (and no IOA is in progress) please email the faculty to enable the permission such that you can review your IOA.
Sometime your IOA might have subjective questions like "Short Questions" and it will not be immediately evaluated. Even then you can check the grades for your MCQ and TF questions. Just follow the procedure in the document attached.
|Tutorials: Checking IOA Grades||735.03 KB|
IOA or Individual online assessments are a user-friendly version of quiz. The term IOA is used to distinguish it from the traditional paper based quiz system as the IOAs are performed online (compared to paper-based quiz) and longer in duration (1 day or more).
IOAs are often used as a replacement of Individual assignments and/or quiz.
The server might be congested if there is too many requests at a time. This is applicable for any server in the internet.
Things you can consider to resolve any such issue
* Check your internet connection speed (www.speedtest.net and make sure you have 128kbps or more)
* Refresh the webpage (Ctrl+F5 on most browsers). You might have to do it multiple times
* Consider changing your browser
* Search the internet for resolving such issue.
It is written in your assignment page.
To schedule the activity, please call/meet me during office hours.
Scheduling by calling
You can put an appointment reminder in your smartphone regarding my business hour to ensure that you will not forget to call.
In case there is no schedule is made for a lab/presentation, schedule will be done before the presentation starts with a first come first serve basis.
. Emails does not allow real time communication and hence cannot method for these types of scheduling.
Study the IOAs, slides, textbook(s)
- Read topics multiple time,
- Pay special attention on "Bold" terms
- Find examples of topic
- Questions at the end of the textbook
- Understand the terms used- particularly the highlighter ones.
- Prepare cheat-sheet as you study
- Find relations among various topics and subtopics
Go through the questions available in the textbook's web resource
During the exam
- Read questions until you understand them. Ask if you do not understand a question
- Consider Time management, and revision time
- Read questions critically and be objective as you answer
1 day before exam
- Rest well, do a revision
3 days before exam:
- Create a list of complex issues & solve them with
- Internet research
- Group study
- Do a mock test.
If applicable, consider
- Increase your English vocabulary
- Practice MCQs from CD/ Textbook website
- Emphasize on Exam Tickets in slides
You can get help to choose the right career for you. To get the consulting, please follow the procedure below and meet the faculty with the report.
- Click here to do a MBTI test
- Copy and paste the result in the appendix of your report
- Analyze your type using "MBTI Type" reference
- Prepare a report considering your career including
- Your MBTI type
- Your congruent occupation/career
- What motivates you
- Your strengths
- Your areas of development
- How to increase your assertiveness
- How to improve your team work capability.
Group of organization has its own business processes, strategy and policies compared to individual organization. Often they are similar to their daughter organizations yet they needs to be distinguished during your term project.
More often than not you will work with a particular department because of the scope of your project. And you will need to determine the parent of the department.
Unfortunately no. The are extra-credit points if and only if the typo changes the meaning of the question making it confusing for the rest of the students.
The website has a search feature. Find the search-box and type in the text you want to search in that box. For instance, if you want to search about IOA, type “IOA” in the search box and click the search button.
Additionally you can use Google's site specific search. In this case type “IOA site:adeyl.com” in the search box and click the search button.
Unfortunately there is not Teaching Assistant for your course. Consider getting help from Facebook.
Please note that this will not be a replacement in the contexts where online application form is available (e.g. Missing a class needs an online application form submission).
Yes. A few times the contents are same in different edition of a particular textbook yet the page numbers, the evaluation questions, diagrams and images might change. The class will follow the edition noted in the course outline and it will make your life a lot easier.
Prioritizing your study
You should prioritize such that you get better grade (and understanding!) comparing to the number of hours you study. Refer to the textbook(s) and research online if you find difficulty understanding a topic. Make a list such that you can get clarification from your faculty.
- Do a Sample exams- print out one of the sample exams and writing answers on it.
- Follow the IOAs. If you were assigned IOAs, 90% or more question will be from the IOAs. There could be simple modification to the IOAs yet the ideas will be the same. This means you have to read the questions carefully to ensure you are answering correctly.
- Follow the slides. Understand the diagrams. Often the slides has limited information- only the top-level ones. If you feel getting lost- go to the textbook(s). You will need the textbook to better understand the slides particularly on topics you are not very comfortable.
- Read the textbook. There is no better way to understand the topic and you will be confident with your answers. You can supplement slides with Wikipedia and your goggle-research.
Other great ideas:
- Create cheat-sheets as you study
- Practice solved problems in the book (if any)
- Practice assignments (if any)
- Use Wikipedia and/or Google to get additional insight on a problem
There are typically Multiple Choice (MCQ), true-false fill in the gap, short question, and analytical questions in the exam. These questions are similar to IOAs. Also sample questions are available in your course page.
Instructions for during exam
- Read the question at least twice to understand it and answer accordingly (objectively).
- Keep the readings (textbook, lectures) in mind and/or provide details including any assumption(s).
- Select the best. Use the blank-side if you need additional space and make sure your reference it.
- If a question asks for explanation, provide an example.
- Fill in your NSU ID (on the bottom).
- Do not write you name anywhere in the exam-book and/or answer sheet.
- Turn off you cell phone during exam.
Confirmation emails are auto-generated and, therefore, there is little chance of error. Check the reasons below before you get alarmed about it.
- Make sure the email address is correct.
- The confirmation email is sent once every 4 days. So, in case you emailed me within the last 4 days, you will not receive a confirmation
- Check your junk folder- a lot of times auto-generated emails are treated as junk.
If this does not solve the problem, please contact me.
You have till 11:59:59 PM of that day to send it.
To be in safe-side, try to send by 5:00 PM of the same day.
To get maximum impact of your study, finish the assignment as soon as it is assigned and email it immediately after.
- The class has a collective agenda and only collective concerns will be addressed in class.
- Simple questions can be addressed immediately after the class.
During office hours
- Go to the faculty in person- You are a major priority and you have dedicated office hours which the instructor has scheduled to help you. Feel free to stop by at any office hours.
- Call the faculty
Outside office hours
- Email the faculty (Review the relevant policy)
- Get help from the Facebook group
- Get help from the "Hall of Fame"ers.
- If you need help from the faculty outside the office hours you need to schedule it.
- Create a new Bibliography entry
- “References” > “Citations & Bibliography” > “Manage Sources” > “New”
- Insert Citation
- Cursor in place > “References” > “Citations & Bibliography” > “Insert Citation”
- Insert Bibliography
- Cursor in place > “References” > “Citations & Bibliography” > “Insert Bibliography”
- Master List & Current List- Sources in the Current List will be shown in the dropdown Insert Citation list. Make your selection
- Make sure you have selected the appropriate style from the Style section of the Citations & Bibliography menu
- Cursor in place > “References” > “Footnotes” > “Insert Footnote”
For the lab, you do not need to bring in anything. You will be given a computer system with
- Microsoft Office 2010 installed
- the files that was originally attached with the lab assignment
Create/Join a Facebook (closed) group
- Designate one of the group member to create the (closed) Facebook group (outlined in the group policy).
- Join the group.
- Post your email address and phone number in the Facebook group.
1 Please let me know as soon as possible using this online form here. You need to fill in a form for each and every class you missed. Keep proof(s) of a valid reason you mentioned in the application.
2 Determine the contents covered
Determine the contents covered in the class- Lectures (slides), the assignment(s) given and the announcements. Get this information from fellow high-performing classmates and group members, the course website and the faculty. Validate this information from the faculty in the earliest possible time.
3 Do those covered
Review the lecture contents and do the assignments. Keep updated with the announcements.
Get help from faculty, fellow high-performing classmates and group members, and the course website as required.
In case you missed an assignment, please follow the makeup policy.
Watch this video from Youtube.
Individual problems differ and so does their solution. For assignments, it is important to understand problems early on compared to at the last minute when your option to find help is limited.
Common ways to resolve a problem
- Get help from the faculty
- Email the faculty (slow process)
- Meet/call during the office hours (fast process)
- Get 24/7 help from Course Website.
- Read the entire page carefully to find hints. Check out the links in the "See Also" section if the page has it.
- Get help from fellow students
- Get 24/7 help from the Facebook Group (fellow students)
- Get help from outstanding students.
- Go through their story to understand how they resolved their issue
- Some of them has their contact information
This often means you need to login to the system.
Business process modeling helps managers to organize and understand business processes. This is crucial for analyzing the business processes.
While there are many ways you can draw business process diagrams, BPMN is a industry wide standard. Using this standard, managers can review diagrams created by other managers in a fast/efficient manner.
Sample BPMN Diagram
Software to Use
Microsoft Visio (Commercial Software)
Calligra Flow (Free and Open Source Software)
As per Wikipedia, A business process or business method is a collection of related, structured activities or tasks that produce a specific service or product (serve a particular goal) for a particular customer or customers. It often can be visualized with a flowchart as a sequence of activities with interleaving decision points or with a Process Matrix as a sequence of activities with relevance rules based on the data in the process.
Google Classroom is enabled for NSU students. There are a lot of features that will help us make a stride towards a digital class. The major advantage for us include
- Smooth assignment process
- Posting regarding announcement, assignments, student posts, and comments
- Easier assignment submission and grade-checking
- Mobile interface for both apple and android devices
- Fast high availability server.
- Easy to learn with lots of helpful documents and videos on the web.
- Single sign-on using your NSU email account. An NSU email account is mandatory for you to enroll in the class.
- You don't have to learn how a software works everay time you take a new course.
Here is a few links with more information
You will evaluate group members in the online forms available. This is optional. The timing will be announced in the course website.
Here is a screen-cast of how you can fill and submit the evaluation form.
Yes you can. You need to make an application considering the parts explained below and submit it in person during my office hours.
Parts of the application
- New group name and the significance of the name.
- How it will help in your Group Assignment(s).
... (modified from Wikipedia)
Total cost of ownership (TCO) considers most IT operational costs.
Particularly, it includes the IT-related expenditures that go beyond the cost of
purchasing infrastructure and applications. It includes costs like Integration
to existing infrastructure, training on the new software, maintenance
requirement, and similar. The major expense categories include
- Infrastructure purchases
- Software acquisition
- Installation and integration of hardware and software
- Purchasing research
- Warranties and licenses
- License-acquisition compliance
- Infrastructure physical facilities
- Electricity for physical facilities and infrastructure, cooling, and
uniform power supply
- Testing costs
- Downtime, outage, and failure expenses
- Security including breaches, loss of brand, and prevention and response
- Risk management including upgrades, patches, and future licensing
- License management
- Business continuity
- Information technology personnel
- Software configuration management
- Information technology personnel
- Software configuration management
- Future upgrade or scalability expenses
Total cost of ownership
Within the context of this course, workshops are events where the faculty will provide you information on how to perform certain activity/activities. The activity is specified in the workshop announcement document.
Should I attend a workshop?
If you understand the topic of the workshop you do not need to attend it. If you do not attend the topics, you need to attend it.
Are there attendance marks?
Workshop attendance is voluntary and based on your needs. There is no attendance marks.
However attendance will be taken and can/will be used against you if you fail to do an activity for which there was a workshop. This will count as a negligence on your part.
I have a conflict and/or other engagement that will prohibit me to attend the workshop. What can I do?
If you cannot attend a workshop that you could do the following
- get a classmate/friend to attend the workshop and help you on the activity/activities
- get help from a knowledgeable classmate/friend who understands the activity/activities well
- get help doing online search using Wikipedia and/or Google search on the activity/activities
Why there are errors?
Even when your faculty tries to remove errors during your grading, errors are natural. To reduce the errors, you are given times to provide your feedback before the grades will be turned in.
What to do if you find an error in your grade?
If you find an error in grading, you have to create a dispute as soon as possible. During the final grade submission week, you will have 1 day to dispute your grades after it is published
How do I submit a dispute?
You need to submit in person during office hours or by calling during the office hours. Unfortunately emails create more confusion and takes a long time to resolve disputes and not entertained for submitting disputes.
How long will it take to resolve?
Your dispute should be resolved immediately. In case it requires documents currently not available,it can take a maximum of 2 days.
What if your dispute claim was false?
In case of two false disputes, you will not get time for making another dispute. This is because the time it takes to review makes it difficult. Consider reviewing materials before you make a dispute. You can visit my office to check your exam-copies, attendance and the similar.
One of the critical success factors of your term project is the project plan. During the planning phase, you need to split up the project into manageable pieces which will be later assigned and monitored. Plan ahead- allocate times for different activities
- Get assistance as needed. Request assistance n the initial stage.
- Clearly define responsibilities and due dates.
- Schedule time for combining various parts.
The following section describes how you can do it.
1 Understand project scope
Prepare the project objective as you understand it by considering the requirement provided to you. The deliverables is often a report and a presentation incorporating the different details of the objective specified.
Explain why your project is important and how it adds value to you and the organization.
1.2 Expected findings
What do you expect to find after your project.
What might be not accurate due to limitation like time, expertise, lack of data and similar.
2 Plan project activities
2.1 Work breakdown
The tasks are broken down using a method called “Work Breakdown Structure” (WBS). It is a hierarchical structure where the deliverable are decomposed into smaller components. A well-designed WBS makes it easy to assign each project activity to one and only one terminal element of the WBS.
You can use a brainstorming session after collecting the various requirements. Printing the various requirements and exhausting them in a brainstorming session is a good start. You can use a software like XMind to help you collect various ideas. Additionally the software allows you to organize your ideas.
2.2 Project schedule
From the work breakdown structure you can create an activity schedule. This is often done using a tool called “Gantt Chart”. You can easily create a Gantt Chart using a software like Microsoft Project.
3 Risk management
Risk management is an important part for the success of your project. Although often overlooked, it is important to identify as many risks to your project as possible, and be prepared if something bad happens.
Common scenarios could be members not communicating, dependent tasks not getting completed, clashing meeting time and the similar. Here you search for such problems and determine a course of action if such an incident does occur.
4 Communication and progress monitoring
You need to have a clear communication plan. Consider using a Facebook Group and keep your recent documents uploaded. Also maintain a document with all the group members email addresses, and phone numbers. Do call if it is urgent. Consider syncing your lunches and coffee breaks.
- Take advantage of internet. Brainstorm for ideas in an online meeting/Facebook
- Use Facebook group page, a project management tool or similar tools to organize your activities.
- Monitor document progress online.
5 Project budget
Budget for financial, time and other resources required.
1. What is it?
Screencasting is an audio/video recording of activities performed in a computer screen. It is often referred to video screen capture. It is often used for teach the functionalities of a software in an easily replicable manner(Screencast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
Software makes the Screencasting process easier compared to using other methods like using a video camera. Major advantages include
- Ease of creation
- Smaller file size
Post processing (adding annotations, visual cues and the related).
2. Software Required
You can use a free or a trial version of a screencasting software to do the assignment to reduce your financial burden.
Commercial software like “Camtasia Studio (http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html)” makes it easier to make a Screencasting. It provides an editor which makes the post processing activities (e.g. cutting, stitching) easy and thus creates a visually appealing output. This comes with a cost compared to the free alternatives.
A popular alternative with limited post-processing capabilities is the “Icecream Screen Recorder”.
Learning the User Interface
At a basic form, you need to be able to
- Record your activities with both video and audio
- Compress the generated files (e.g. in mp4 format)
You can use video tutorials available at YouTube.com e.g. How To Record Your Computer Screen With IceCream Screen Recorder.
3. Basic parts of a screen-casting assignment
1. Start the screencast by including your NSU information- Name, NSU ID, Course, Section, Assignment number. You can create a slide in PowerPoint using this information and show it during the first five seconds of your Screencast.
2. Narrate/explain your activities as you are doing them. This doesn’t need to be professional quality but needs to be audible and in English.
4. Video processing
If your software does not do this automatically, use a software that permits compression. Make sure your output video
- Plays/renders using standard video player (e.g. mp4 file)
- The file size is less than 100MB
- The file resolution is greater than 480px in height
- The frame rate is greater than 15fps
- The file duration should be no more than 10 mins
Split the assignments into multiple files (as necessary) and provide a sequence number at the end.
Screencast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 9 August 2014. 10 August 2014 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screencast>.
The basic problem solving techniqes include
Understanding the problem
The problem needs to be understood well by engaging in group discussion. Get help from the instructor and the Teaching Assistants/Outstanding Students as you need them.
There are often more than one way to solve a problem. The group assignment must show combined thinking and high level of analysis. Therefore, even when you split up the tasks among the group members, the report needs to be coherent.
The scope needs to be well defined within the context of the course and assignment duration. The solution criterion needs to be defined before delving into analyzing/developing criterion.
There are often conflicting arguments for a particular solution. Therefore your analysis and solution often needs evidences to persuade the audience. This could be done using tools like Brainstorming, Trend Charts, Five Why’s, Story Boards, Scatter Diagrams, Surveys, Check Sheets, Histograms, Fail-Safing, Pareto diagrams, Fishbone Diagrams, and Flowcharts.
Use a Methodology
The solution you recommend needs to be in the context of real world situation. Cycle through problem solving steps as necessary to ensure a high quality output.
There are various methods for problem solving. Though all the methods are similar, some might be advantages for a particular scenario compared to others.
Review the PDCA or the Grow Model methodology and other ones as appropriate.
Writing- Use your own words and stay focused
A report is your voice on the topic. If you are copying from somebody else (e.g. to emphasize a point), reference them. Keep your report as short as possible without losing relevancy (important facts). Stay focused on answering the original question and do not digress. You are wasting valuable time of your audience by providing information that they already know or that are not relevant. Be brief and specific in your introductions. For example, you should not explain a known theory but explain its relevance using a sentence or two. If you are unsure or you want to keep the theory for reference, include it in the appendix.
Be specific and relevant with respect to the subject matter in consideration.
- Do not include definitions in the main report (use appendix if you feel it is important)
- Briefly explain all your quotes/referenced items. Also, limit your usage of quotes.
- Use process maps, comparison tables, and graphs to illustrate your point.
- Do attach irrelevant and/or large data in the appendix. For example, include the "Survey Questions" and large tables in the appendix- make a chart or a concise table to include that in the main report.
Missing parts of a report
- Cover Page- Create a visually appealing design using templates available in Microsoft Word. In the first page include Name, NSU ID Or group name and member names and NSU IDs, Course title, code and Section, Assignment title, type & number, Due date and date of submission
- Paragraph formatting- Use the built-in styles of Microsoft Word. Choose a line-spacing no more than 1.2 and a font-size of 12. You can use a standard "report template" to accomplish this.
- Table of Content- Use Microsoft Word to auto-generate your table of content.
- Use bibliography Do credit all your sources (use bibliography). You reference your content in the appendix. Use Microsoft Word's referencing feature to manage source and auto-generate your bibliography. Search YouTube for more detail.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Limited understanding of the problem. Make a Mindmap if you have problem here.
- Not including sections as prescribed without a strong reason
- Not using fact based decision/solution/statement. Validate information/recommendation with an experienced person (company guide, faculty ...)
- Use your own words (NOT plagiarism). Do not include content you do not understand and/or cannot explain. Limit the project scope to things you have researched and analyzed. E.g. concentrate on a department and get enough detail compared to the entire organization (within the context).
Solving cases simulates you applying your knowledge into a real-world situation. Like any real situation, there are infinite possibilities. Therefore, your goal is to find a solution that you can defend best with reasoning.
Preparation for the case
You need to have a good understanding of all the different topics discussed in the case. Often a case will introduce you to new topics (vocabularies, jargons). Develop a good understanding of these topics before you start analyzing the case. The case will accompany question(s) that you need to solve.
- Read the case multiple times- until you understand it.
- Understand the breadth (topics covered) and a depth (detail) in general and how it is applied in the case (in context).
- Use mindmapping techniques if you are unsure.
- Do outside research- use the textbook(s) and the internet. Note your references as you research for bibliography.
In the report, you will analyze the case and provide an educated direction/solution. You can use the Grow Model for problem solving (Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GROW_model) among other models available. Consider the topics available in the book during your analysis.
You need to be creative to find various solutions and critically analyze them.
There are often conflicting arguments for a particular solution. Therefore, you need to backup your solution with reasoning/evidence. Consider using tools like Brainstorming, Trend Charts, Five Why’s, Story Boards, Scatter Diagrams,
Surveys, Check Sheets, Histograms, Fail-Safing, Pareto diagrams, Fishbone Diagrams, and Flowcharts CITATION Wik14 \l 1033 (Wikipedia).
Use the report format available in the website. Presentation will be based on your report. Make your presentation such that you will encourage an active and effective participation from the class.
You will earn a grade based on the quality of your oral presentation and the quality of your case write-up. Here is a sample grading criterion that you need to keep in mind to ensure a good grade.
|Understanding the situational context.||30%|
|Analyzing Depth and breadth||30%|
|Professionalism (Report, Presentation and Participation)||20%|
Wikipedia. Eight Disciplines Problem Solving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 24 July 2014. 11 September 2014
- Email me.
- Visit me during office hours
- Call me during office hours
- Immediately after class
- Scheduling an appointment
In case of a deadline, try visiting in person or calling during an office hour. See Office Hours below
There are many a ways that you can write a good movie review. The template below provides you with a good guideline as well. It is adapted from https://www.ucls.uchicago.edu/students/projects/1996-97/MovieMetropolis/...
Five Parts (Paragraphs) of a Movie Review
Opening: Catch the Reader's Attention
Think about how advertisements sell movies: "trailers" show you a few seconds of
the movie to get you interested.
When you begin your movie review, make your
own "trailer." If you liked the movie, then your trailer should make people want
to see it; but if you didn't like it, the trailer should be something that shows
why you didn't like it. Don't explain why you liked it or didn't like it; make
the reader like or not like the movie by what you describe. Begin your review by
retelling an incident or moment from the movie which you think captures the
spirit of the movie as you understood it.
Alternative: Begin your review with another kind of story or interesting
fact--about one of the star actors, or about the making of the movie, or about
Second Paragraph: Take Care of Business
Near the beginning of the review, you have to tell the reader all the obligatory
stuff--the title of the movie, the director, the studio, the main actors, the
year it was made (if you watched it on video), the rating. This paragraph tells
the reader the things they have to know about the movie. Also, in one sentence
or two, you should explain very simply what the movie is all about--not
necessarily what happens, but that might work, too, if you can say it in one two
Third Paragraph: Character and plot summary
What happens in the movie? You shouldn't tell everything that happens--and
especially not the ending. But you want to summarize the basic plot of the
movie, in more detail than you do in the paragraph above.
One way to do this might be to write a sentence about each main character.
Fourth Paragraph: A Key Moment or Idea
In this paragraph, go into detail about something important that interested you
about the movie. If it was a musical, you should say something about the songs.
Or if the soundtrack was good, talk about that. Or write more about one
character who was really intriguing. Or retell another big moment from the movie
and explain why it is important. If you think the "idea" behind a movie was
really interesting, explain that idea and talk about it a little bit. In this
paragraph, you must go into depth about the movie.
Fifth Paragraph: Evaluate the Movie
Do you recommend it or not? Who will like it (kids or adults)? The most
important thing here is that you must also explain why you are making
You must justify your opinion--and that opinion should grow out of what you
write in the rest of the review. Give at least two reasons why you liked or
didn't like the movie.
Be professional in all aspect including dress-code, conduct, preparation, delivery.
- Be concise and use an agenda. Include the following sections in your agenda
- the issue (problem statement)
- proof that the solution will work. Consider effectiveness, savings, feasibility, implementation
- conclude with future direction
- include headings according to the requirement
- Use keywords in your slides compared to using whole sentences
The following grading criterion applies if there is not a grading criterion explicitly set.
|Professional preparation, appearance and conduct.||15%|
Structure and organization of the report (clarity).
Correct identification of the problem.
Thoughtfulness, Correctness and Thoroughness of the analysis
Fact based analysis- graphs, process maps, and comparison tables..
Realistic decision considering implementation consideration..
|Fact based decision- graphs, process maps, and comparison tables.||10%|
- Half of your grade depends on how your group members evaluate you.
- The evaluation will be confidential.
- You will fill in online evaluation form to evaluate your group members.
Your group will be assigned by the instructor and you will have half the say in it. You can choose upto 2 of your group member and the other two/three members will be assigned to you randomly.
Here are some insight to justify this mechanism. The contribution was made by a student Sufian Ahmed Roktim.
Advantages of working in a group with known people:
- easier to coordinate
- feel free to share every detail regarding the assignments without hesitation
- timing priority among the members can be well set
- the support among the members would be stronger which can help everyone to be propelled toward better implementation.
- the outcome reached through the teamwork of known people would be more hassle free
Disadvantages of working with unknown people:
- lack of objective direction
- more conflicts in the way of thinking and hence less innovation.
- the teamwork tends to function disorderly because of lack of proper team management or compromises not made by the unknown members
Advantages of working with unknown people:
- learn to adapt with different people having different perspectives.
- the teamwork may turn out to be more interesting and exciting for variety of innovative ideas shared among the unknown people.
Disadvantages of working with known people:
- too friendly environment and hence the group members tend to get distracted from working and being on time.
Idea- Do your IOA on the go using inernet connected smartphones
- In between classes
- other free time
- while eating Kachchi Biryani
- while traveling back home
- while listening to music
- while hanging out in the gallery
- while drinking Moju Mama tea
- In the library
- waiting in traffic jam
- waiting in re-advising line
- waiting in bank lines
- waiting for faculty members
- waiting for the elevator
- boring lectures @ class
- boring lectures from elder family members
- waiting in Facebook for a "chat reply"
- waiting for a song/natok download to finish
- while watching the boring part of the movie!
- waiting for friend
if you are bored at Fantasy Kingdom (picnic)
... IOAs last 2 days, many options are a good thing.
Ideas contributed by:
Mumu Benzir Alam, Nahida Sultana, Adeyl Khan
Please check the Powerpoint tutorials attached.
Students majoring in MIS must take the following six courses (18 credits).
Database Systems for
Systems Analysis and
E-Commerce and Web
Accessed 14th April, 2014
Please dress business formal. For more information, you can review this slide form The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill . The pdf file is also attached herewith.
* For hot-summer months, you can ignore the Jacket.
* Girls can wear sarees/salwar
* Make sure you are wearing nothing hanging or swinging loosely.
Context: Your role and the audience
Consider your group as an outside consultant team working for the organization. Your team is assigned this project by your reporting manager (a top level official). Your audience is the senior management of the company.
Components of the report
1. Title Page
See the "General Reporting Guidelines"
2. Executive summary
The executive summary is designed to be read by people who will not have time to read the whole report or are deciding if this is necessary- you need to say as much as possible in the fewest words. The executive summary should briefly outline the subject matter, the background issue (problem statement), the scope of the investigation, the method(s) of analysis, the important findings arguments and important issues raised in the discussion, the conclusion and recommendations. To simplify, use this sequence to organize your content (1) Goals, (2) Problems (that you encountered during your study), (3) Results and (4) Recommendations. Consider revising the summary and eliminate the topics that are less relevant.
- Maximum 200 words.
3. Declaration of originality
In this are you will need to declare that the project report written and submitted to the Adeyl Khan, North South University is your own content which has not been copied and.or reproduced elsewhere. You also need to acknowledge that such reproducing is liable for punishment in any way the university deem fit. The declaration statement needs to be signed by all the members of the group.
- Please limit your "Declaration of originality" to a single page
- Make sure all the group members sign it
4. Company guide certification
The point of conatct of the company you will work on will act as a guide. This is the person who will help you get relavant information from the organization. In this part your guide will certify that the project at the company was done under his/her guidance and it is an original project. This document needs to be signed by the group members as well as the guide. Make sure to include the contact information and the designation of the guide.
- Please limit your "Company guide certification" to a single page
In this section you acknowledge the contributors who helped you complete the project by cooperation, guidance. Be specific regarding what is the contribution you want to acknowledge.
- Please limit your acknowledgement to a single page
6. Table of contents
See the General Reporting Guidelines.
Content section of the report can have a maximum of 12 pages except full page diagram that you create. See the General Reporting Guidelines
See the General Reporting Guidelines.
Before you request an extension
* Please specify the activities you have completed
* How long it will take for you to do the rest of the activities
* How will the extension benefit you
* Why do you think you deserve the extension
You can request extending a "group assignment" when the group is present (e.g. in class).
Besides the commercially available (costly?) Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, there are ofthen freeware graphics application program, These can often open/edit files like *.psd, *.ai.
Removing somebody from your group is strongly discouraged. One of the main reason being you need to be able to work with different type of people including difficult ones.
Yet there are some time when a group member must be removed. In such a case, only one group member can be removed at a time and approval from all the other group members (in the form of email acknowledgement) is required.
Step 1. Email me a formal application requesting the removal of the group member
- Include group member name and NSU ID
- Explain three instances of negligence committed including proof (screenshots of emails, Facebook message, call-log and similar). Common negligence include not replying email, not replying phone calls, and not submiting assignment (parts) requested from the member.
- Explain what you (as a group) have done to accommodate the non-cooperating member.
- CC the email to all group member including the non-cooperating group member.
Step 2. Within 2 business-days the non-cooperating group member needs to contact me and explain the situation. If no common understanding occurs the group member will be removed and his/her submission within the group will be nulled.
These are often future assignments posted online so that you can prepare yourself in advance. They will not be due until there is a due date assigned to them.
Group presentations are different from "term project" presentation in a few respect including the presentation-duration, grading and the depth of analysis.
- The time duration is specified in the assignment.
Grades are assigned for the entire group- i.e. everybody in the group gets the same grade. You will be graded for content, presentation/delivery, and understanding (Q/A).
Review the "See also" section below
- Please understand the topic and rehearse the presentation such that your understanding radiates.
- Be professional in your appearance and your attitude.
You will be faced with a small Q/A session following the presentation. This will test your understanding of the assignment.
Please be quiet and wait for 20 minutes in the class. You can try to call the instructor.
If do not get any message within that period, your class is cancelled and a makeup will be announced later. See more in the makeup section.
Facebook based (Ref: http://www.thedailystar.net/lifestyle/spotlight/online-shopping-1412578)
Vogue by Prince- https://www.facebook.com/houseofvoguelifestyle
Noir Clothing- https://www.facebook.com/noirbd
The Mall BD- https://www.facebook.com/themallbd
Tanzim Corporation- https://www.facebook.com/tanzimcorporation
Learn from wikipedia
You can use different models. One interesting model you can use is the "Six Thinking Hats" (ref: http://www.toolshero.com/decision-making/six-thinking-hats-de-bono/)
For complex decisions that allows for quantitative evaliations you can use the "Decision Tree Analysis" method (ref: http://www.toolshero.com/decision-making/decision-tree-analysis/).
Foxit PDF Reader
Xmind- Mand Mapper
Itunes- Music player
VLC- Video Player
Ditto Clipboard manager
Easeus Backup Free
Picasa Image viewer/editor
Gimp- Image editor
Inkscape vector illustrator
You can use the Xmind software. Watch a video here
Organizational profiles are a rather broad concept. To make it manageable, you can use a template like the one attached.